Sunday 10 April 2016

Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments | 1x13 | Review & Discussion | Faith

 

Jace makes the search for Valentine his main priority as he continues to reel from recent events; Clary and Simon's efforts to unlock Jocelyn's coma may impact the Downworlder peace treaty and Simon's relationship with Raphael.

- Goodreads Synopsis

This review WILL contain SPOILERS

You can view ALL of my Shadowhunters reviews HERE


Ladies and gentlemen, the final episode of Shadowhunters season 1 has been released! This episode follows many of our favourite characters such as Jace, Clary, Isabelle and Alec! Jace experiences his inner conflicts after he finds out that Valentine is his father. Clary, Isabelle, Alec and Simon are on a mission to find the book of the white. 



Let's start this review out with the scene between Hodge and Jace. This scene had so many Star Wars vibes to it. With the cool new weapon and Jace cutting off Hodge's hand, it totally just mirrors the scene between Darth Vador and Luke Skywalker. I really loved this scene! I thought that the fight sequence was really well choreographed and that the weird slow/fast motion effect wasn't overused. But seriously, though out that whole scene, I was just thinking "Jace is Darth Vador."

A small problem that I had with the first few episodes was Hodge's reaction to pain. This is very random but I quite enjoyed his reaction this time because it seemed more realistic.

If you are a book fan, you would have seen Hodge's betrayal from the very start. In the show, he doesn't really show up that happen. He only shows up when he is needed to explain something. I really wish we could've seen his relationship with the characters more in the show because it really wasn't reflected. They mentioned it in this episode a couple of times, but it is not enough to make his betrayal significant. I felt absolutely nothing when he betrayed them, I didn't feel any pain for any of the characters who knew him either.

Ever since Jace and Clary found out that they were actually siblings I started to notice that they have more chemistry when they're not romantically linked, especially in this scene. Even though I love Clace in the show, I do feel like they would push their relationship a little bit which I actually think is one of the reasons why the chemistry was off sometimes even though it was there. However, I thought that both Dominic Sherwood and Katherine Mcnamara did a wonderful job playing off each other. In this episode, I really felt like I could see Jace and Clary from the books. Especially in the scene at the end, to me you could see how much Clary cared for Jace and the same goes for Jace towards Clary.

One of my favourite actors in the show is Alan Van Sprang as Valentine. I believe he brings the right amount of darkness and mystery to this character. He is just so great as the character and he suits the character perfectly.

Part of the main premise of this episode was finding the book of the white. I was very happy when we found out that Camille had it because she is one of my characters in the show. As I have said in past reviews, I do think that she plays the role very well. When she popped out of the coffin, it scared the crap out of me.

Speaking of Camille, we have kind of been leading up to this whole Magnus and Camille ordeal. I absolutely love these two characters together. I think that they work together really well, and I am so happy that they included their relationship in the show. 

Harry Shum Jr. was perfect as Magnus as always. This is also another random point but I really like his scruff. I just feel like it gives Magnus more character.



One of my favourite characters in the show is Isabelle. I really love Emeraude Toubia's portrayal of the character and I think that she truly suits the character. The only problem I had with her in this episode was not technically her but her whip. I never really enjoyed her stunts with the whip. Whips are supposed to be very striking and bold, but in the show every time she whips the thing it's this soft little touch. In the movie, it was this amazing thing and it was so incredible. I know this problem can be stepped over since it is a real leather whip and I doubt they would be able to do scenes like the ones in the film considering someone could actually get hurt.

Something I really loved about this episode was how dark it was. This episode was a lot darker because we were focusing on the main problem and not so much on the side relationships. I feel like we haven't been able to see the darkness that we saw in the first episode, and it was nice to see it kind of come back. I still do really miss the edginess though.

The scene where Valentine captures all of Jace's friends just reminded me of the scene in Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix. I don't think I even have to name the scene because I think you know what I'm talking about.

Since the start of the show, the show runners have been saying that the ending wasn't going to be anything like the books. This obviously made me very nervous, I thought they were going to screw everything up. That wasn't the case. I absolutely loved how this season ended. For the first time, I have actually been on the edge of seat anticipating what was to come. I was very surprised when Jace left, I kept thinking that he was going to escape but he didn't. It was such a Jace thing to do.

The acting in this episode was at it's best and that's always a pleasure to see. I loved everyone, and I am so excited that we are going to be having a season 2! I can see where they're going to include City of Ashes especially since we have a ship now. I really just want to re-read City of Ashes because I want to try and think of where Jace is gonna be in the show. It probably won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Quick side note, I loved the way the ship looked. Also I loved the spell Magnus did to wake Jocelyn! Also I love the parallel between Luke and Jocelyn and Clary and Jace with the "I got you," part. So cute! Can't wait to see more!

Overall, I LOVED everything they did with this episode. Everyone has grown and it was absolutely brilliant. The show has been on this incredible journey from cheesy lines to plot twists that are actually surprising, from weird romantic scenes to bringing our favourite ships to life in an awesome way! I love Shadowhunters and I am so looking forward to season 2!

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

It was really fun writing reviews for 13 weeks! Well 12 technically considering I skipped episode 2. 


Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!