Wednesday 12 August 2015

Tearing Down The Ivy: Amy Bledsoe | Review | Faith


As Anna falls for her best friend, Griffin, his charming family lures her into the corrupt underworld of her beloved town, but while her affection for him grows, so does his list of secrets. Will Griffin’s love be enough to make Anna stay, and will hers give him a reason to leave his life behind?

- Goodreads Synopsis

This Review Will Be SPOILER-FREE


I was sent Tearing Down The Ivy in exchange for review. I've been in a really big contemporary book streak, in terms of wanting to read them. I was immediately drawn to this book by it's cover. There is so much mystery behind it, just like the content of the book.

I feel like I missed this book by one or two years. I just kind of felt a tad bit too old to be reading this. As I read this, I couldn't find one thing that I really I disliked about this book so I came to a conclusion that I'm a little old to be reading this. Raquel and I have discussed this and our minds work differently then some teenagers. We've been exposed to so many different things in reading, movies and TV shows that we've kind of become immune to things some people might uncomfortable. Now that's just what I'm used to reading and seeing when it is there, so when I came across Tearing Down The Ivy, I found it a little bit cheesy and cliche and that is not a bad thing, it's just my personal preference. I would also just like to say I was not looking for those kinds of themes in this book, it's just that I've grown out of  these kinds of books. There were little things that were put in a way that was kind of tacky. I feel like I am in the age range that Amy intended for this book to go but my mind just isn't there.

For some strange reason, I kept connecting Tearing Down The Ivy to The Secret Life Of The American Teenager which is one of my favourite guilty pleasure TV shows that I binge watch over and over. I finally realized that it is the way these characters are portrayed. These characters just seemed a little perfect but they also had these weird secretive issues, and I really enjoyed it. It was just like watching The Secret Life Of The American Teenager but in book form. I loved it.

I've been really impressed with the writing style's in contemporary books lately. I really loved Amy's writing. It really hooked me in the beginning, the writing is definitely gripping. Something I found to be very interesting and unique about this book was the fact that Griffin was a janitor. Griffin being a janitor really just motivated me to find out more about the story.

I really loved that this book kept the mystery and suspense throughout the entire novel. It was so intriguing, this book was a breath of fresh air. Especially since I don't get that mystery in a lot of books that I read.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this book. It wasn't my favourite but I really did enjoy it. I highly suggest this book if you love contemporary and mystery! I don't want to say too much about this book because it's a mystery all by itself and it's so interesting following the story and the characters. The only way I can describe this book is that it's The Secret Life Of The American Teenager but in book form! I know this review is very vague, but it's best to go into this book without knowing much. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars!  I can't wait to read more!

I hope you enjoyed reading this review!

Feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our SOCIAL MEDIA for updates on our current reads and future projects.

Check out the blogs Instagram for updates on posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!