Monday 1 December 2014

Book - Movie Adaptation: The Book Thief - FTM




In 1938, young orphan Liesel (Sophie NĂ©lisse) arrives at the home of her new foster parents, Hans (Geoffrey Rush) and Rosa (Emily Watson). When Hans, a kindly housepainter, learns that Liesel cannot read, he teaches the child the wonders of the written language. Liesel grows to love books, even rescuing one from a Nazi bonfire. Though Liesel's new family barely scrape by, their situation becomes even more precarious when they secretly shelter a Jewish boy whose father once saved Hans' life.

- Wikipedia

So I started watching the movie, a couple minutes after finishing the book. I loved the movie just as much as I loved the book. They were both so spectacular. As I was researching the trailers, the actors and as well as the synopsis, I learned that the girl who plays Liesel (Sophie Nelisse) is Canadian. I honestly thought that she was german, let me just say that she does a perfect job on her accent. To make it even more amazing, she is only 14 years old! To me, she is the perfect Liesel, she just plays her so beautifully. It also makes me happy that she's Canadian, especially because she plays one of the lead roles. What also astonishes me is that she only has about 3+ years of experience, she has a talent. Some of you might be like "Oh it's not that hard to act... blah blah blah." but being as young as she was when she was cast and when they started to film, and being able to convey the emotion that she did is what truly amazes me.

It's very rare to find a perfectly cast, cast. There can be casts that are almost perfect but the cast for this film, I found was perfect. These actors literally brought the characters to life from my brain. All of the actors played their characters amazingly, they showed all sides of their characters

From what I can remember, the movie was 99% like the book, there were slight changes that I actually barely noticed.

The movie brought me to tears, the book made me tear up a little bit, but I think that seeing it right before my eyes made it 10x more emotional.

Another thing that I loved about the movie is that they kept death in the film. That was one of my favourite aspects of the book and I was very happy that they decided to have Death narrate the story every now and then. It really just made the movie what it is.

One of the characters that I was looking forward to seeing on the screen was Max. Max is played by Ben Schnetzer. The friendship between Max and Liesel is one of the best parts of the book in my opinion. As I was watching the movie, I kind of noticed that Max wasn't really there, he was there but he didn't show up as often as I wanted him to. I didn't find myself really caring for on-screen Max, I care for book Max but for some reason I felt different with on-screen Max. Ben does a great job as Max, and I am not trying to criticize him as an actor, I just wanted to see more of Max because he is obviously one of my favourite characters in the book.

Let's talk about Hans and Rosa. I cannot describe how much I loved them. To be more specific Rosa, Emily Watson did a fantastic job portraying Rosa. She played both sides of her so well. I mean when she was hugging the accordion after Hans left, I almost cried.

To be honest, I was literally close to tears for the last quarter of the movie. It was so difficult to keep it together, but I just broke after the bombing. I couldn't handle it. I'm going to give praise to the whole cast and crew, they all did a more than phenomenal job creating and launching this film.

Overall, I really loved this movie. It made me cry, but I find that my favourite movies are always the ones that make me cry, and I'm okay with that. This movie did the book justice, and I couldn't have wished for more. I would rate it a 5 out of 5 stars. 

You can read my book review HERE

I hope you enjoyed this review! Please feel free to follow our blog!

Check out our social media!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!