Thursday 3 July 2014

Clockwork Prince: Cassandra Clare - FTM





In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.



- Goodreads Synopsis

First off, I would like to point out that this book made me cry like a baby! I was sitting in my room around midnight, and I finished it and I couldn't help myself so I jut cried. My mom was laughing and mocking me... Anyway, let's start off with this "curse" from a demon that was put on Will as a young child. I honestly didn't believe that the curse was actually real, considering that he loved Tessa and she loved him and she didn't die... but later on we find out that the curse wasn't actually a curse and that the demon that put it on him was just really mad. I was so happy when we found out that news, and I love his reaction after that, he was a completely different person and everyone was like "Is that Will?"

One of the things that I am really curious about is why Wills parents had a demon box in their house... Clearly it is a danger to have a demon in your household along with your children who are helpless of defending themselves.

In Clockwork Prince, Jem and Tessa start becoming much closer as friends. Then later on, they start being more involved romantically. For me, their relationship went really fast. Yes, they were spending a lot of time together but maybe five chapters later he's confessing that he has feelings towards her. I just felt that it was a little fast for my taste because by the end of the book he proposes to her, confessing all of his love towards her. In my opinion, we didn't really get to see their relationship grow as much as we got to see their friendship grow. It seemed like the romantic parts of their relationship were a little forced...as in pushing the love triangle to cause more conflict in the next book. I do believe that Jem really does love Tessa, and I think Tessa loves Jem but she doesn't really love him. Their entire, romantic relationship was pushed together into one book, as for Tessa and Will it had more growth and was more well paced than Jem and Tessa's.

Speaking of Will and Jem, I don't get how they didn't see that they both had strong feelings for Tessa. When Jem was proposing to Tessa, I was really worried that Will was going to jump in being happy that the curse wasn't real and see Jem confessing his love towards Tessa, but it was so much WORSE! It was such an emotional scene and I was getting emotional... Will was saying all these things towards Tessa, explaining the curse, why he said things to hurt her and how everything will work out if she takes him back. One of my favourite parts of this book was this particular part....

"I imagined you wanted an apology! You saved my life at the tea warehouse, and I am grateful, Will. I thought you wanted me to tell you that-"
Will looked as if she had slapped him. "I didn't save your life so you'd be grateful!" 
"Then, what?" Her voice rose. "You did it because it's your mandate? Because the law says-"
"I did it because I love you!" He Half-Shouted, and then, as if registering the shocked look on her face, he said in a more subdued voice, "I love you Tessa, and I have loved you, almost since the moment I met you." 

- Clockwork Prince: Cassandra Clare

I am not big on romance, but this scene really got to me. The entire scene did, and it was so sad how Will was saying that if they told Jem, that he would understand but then he changed his mind because he loves Jem, he's his parabati. So frustrating! Now that Jem and Tessa are engaged, their relationship just seems so awkward, Jem is in love and theres Tessa who is confused. I really hate how Jem thought that Will saved Tessa for him....

I really want to know what the heck Tessa is and who her parents are, there are little hints in the book on who it might be or who knows who they are.I love how all of the characters that Cassandra Clare writes, all relate somehow. There is always some sort of connection that always has a big impact in the her other series. 

This book was so good! It is one of the only books that have made me cry, and I am excited yet nervous to read the third one, Clockwork Princess. I really want to find out what happens with all of the characters, and how everything will resolve itself. Unfortunately I already know what happens to Jem and Will but I am sure that what ever happens I'm probably still going to be as shocked and as surprised as I was the first time I found out. I want to read more about the Infernal Devices in particular, and I want to see Charlottes baby and how the new relationships are going to turn out.

I am also really exicited for Will's sister who has come to the Institute to learn and become a shadowhuner, I think it will be really interesting to see how Will reacts with actual family members from his past and how it will impact the story.

I am trying so hard not to ramble about this book, because I have so much more to write and say. This book caused me to go through so many emotions. I loved this book so much! I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 stars! If you enjoyed this review, you can check out my City of Heavenly Fire review HERE

Please Follow our blog! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!