Wednesday 25 June 2014

The Darkest Minds: Alexandra Bracken - FTM




When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that's killed most of America's children, but she and the others have emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they cannot control.
- Goodreads 

The Darkest Minds has recieved so much praise and great feedback, and in general it sounded so interesting. It is the first book in a trilogy, the sequels are Never Fade and In the Afterlight. I went into this book having HIGH HOPES and as I read, I was not let down. I loved it, it was amazing. So I was almost half way through  the book when I decided to watch a Booktubers review/booktalk and no it did not have any spoilers, but they did have some negative things to say about it. I tend to listen to others opinions especially when it is someone that I admire. So I listened, and when I picked it back up again, my thoughts changed and I started to dislike it. It made me realize some things that didn't really matter, such as at some points it is a little boring, and the whole roadtrip thing was boring. I quickly discovered that I wasn't really reading as me. I was reading based off others opinions.


The characters in The Darkest Minds are so loveable, well some of them at least. Zu was one of the sweetest people ever, I don't know why but she reminded me alot of Olive from Miss Pregrines home for Peculiar Children by: Ransom Riggs. She was just so loveable and innocent.

Ruby is the main narrator in this book and I loved her as well. I loved how we got to see so much character development while you read this book. In most books, you don't really get to follow someones journey to becoming such a strong character.

Liam, everybody loves Liam. I have heard a lot of people say that he reminds people of Noah Shaw The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and he totally does.  (You can read my review for The Evolution of Mara Dyer HERE) He is one of those characters that I think everyone loves and can't hate.

Then there is Chubbs.... Earlier on, someone commented on my Instagram "She is an evil writer" I did not understand this, but I had heard and read that she broke people hearts and things.... If you haven't read the book please skip this part..... SHE KILLS CHUBBS!!! So Chubs is another one of those loveable characters, but he hates new comers... so as i'm writing this review, I am thinking "Who does he remind me of?" He reminds me of, Alec Lightwood from The Mortal Instruments series. (You can read my COHF HERE) He didn't really like Ruby in the beginning and would tell her to do what's best and leave. 

This book does have some difficulty with explaining things, such as the powers, the colours and the flashbacks so it is quite confusing to read at times. Overall this book was great! I recommend to go into this book with nothing in your head. DO NOT LISTEN TO OTHERS OPINIONS! If you are planning on reading this book, it's better to go into it without knowning anything. 

I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars! I hope you enjoyed readin this review, please feel free to subscribe/follow our blog! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!