Wednesday 13 May 2015

Frankenstein: My Ending- RQK

For my english class I had to write my own ending for Frankenstein by: Mary Shelley. In my ending Victor and his monster get to have a final conversation and well I thought it would be something interesting to post! I am not really the best writer, but yea... I took quite a few quotes from the original book that I thought fit well and I do reference where I got the quotes.

Book Cited: Frankenstein, Mary Shelley London: Colburn and Bentley, 1831.


Victor was lying in the captain's quarters when he suddenly heard a sound. He turned his head and saw his creation standing at the edge of his bed.
“Frankenstein,” said the monster.
Victor replied bitterly, “Daemon. Have you come to complete your vengeance?”
“Frankenstein, you are deeply mistaken,” the monster answered calmly.
“Mistaken? I have no doubts of your evil nature. If you are not here to finish me, then you must be here to gloat in my last moments how you managed to take everything away from me,” Victor yelled while in tears.
“No. In your last moments I have come to ‘ask thee to pardon me’(163),” said the Daemon.
“You want me to forgive you?” Victor asked.
“Yes,” responded the creature, “I want you to forgive me, your own creation whom you left alone and abandoned to suffer in misery.”
“Your misery? Am I to feel pity for thee who devoted his life to sending me to the darkest corners of madness, and misery by killing all I love?” Victor said as he hid his face in his hands. “As you can see, ‘the strength I relied on is gone’ (161). If not for this I would be fulfilling my duty to my species by destroying you with my bare hands, the evil being whom I foolishly brought into existence.”
“I understand that you despise me and my existence,” the monster said angrily. “ ‘I, who irretrievably destroyed thee by destroying all thou lovedst’ (163). But do you really think that this whole time I have been ‘dead to agony and remorse’ ” (163)?
Victor screamed at the creature, “well if you are not, tell me why would you do such a thing? What kind of normal being with a conscious would hunt down all the love ones of somebody?!”
“Well that's the thing”, the monster said softly, “I never thought I ever would. I was disgusted and appalled by the cruel acts you humans have performed against one another throughout history. Even so I ‘falsely hoped to meet with beings who (...) would love me for the excellent qualities which I was capable of unfolding. I was nourished with high thoughts of honour and devotion. But now crime has degraded me beneath the meanest animal. No guilt, no mischief, no malignity, no misery, can be found comparable to mine’ (165). When I look back upon all my sins I cannot believe I am the same creature whose thoughts were once only about beauty (165). ‘But it is even so; the fallen angel becomes a malignant devil’ ” (165).
“That may be so,” said Victor, “but ‘your repentance is superfluous’ (163). ‘I momentarily expect my release’ (162) and with it your vengeance shall be complete. If you want to give compensation for your sins then you will leave and never cause mischief again.”
The monster stands there silently for a moment before he replies. “ ‘Fear not that I shall be the instrument of future mischief’(165). But ‘am I to be thought the only criminal, when all humankind sinned against me?’ (165) ‘It is true I am a wretch’ (165) who has ‘murdered the lovely and the helpless’ (165). I have pushed you, my creator to ‘irremediable ruin’ ” (165).
Victor interrupts him saying, “Humankind sinned against you? You murdered everyone I ever cared about in cold blood! You're an evil creature who should never have seen the light of day!”
The monster silently heads for the door, but he stops just before he leaves. He doesn’t turn around, but he says, “ ‘you hate me; but your abhorrence cannot equal that with which I regard myself. (...) I think on the heart in which these hands will meet my eyes, when the imagination will haunt these thoughts no more’ (165). However my work is not complete. In order to ‘consummate the series of my being’ (166) my death is required. Like thee I shall soon die and ‘these burning miseries’ (166) I have felt will be extinct with me. My spirit will finally be able to sleep in peace (166). Farewell Frankenstein.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!