Friday 26 September 2014

The Elite: Kiera Cass - FTM




The Selection began with thirty-five girls.

Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

The first part of this review will be SPOILER FREE!

Be honest, the first thing that you expect when reading the synopsis is lots of romance and bucket of cheesiness. To my surprise, it was not cheesy at all. I feel that Kiera did a wonderful job writing out the romance in these books. The romance wasn't overly written which is a great thing. It does have the feel of a love triangle because America is still bouncing between Aspen and Maxon, but not as much as she was in the last book. You can tell that she is definitely more focused on Maxon then she is with Aspen, I loved decision because it gave the readers a chance to really focus on Maxon and America's relationship as it grew throughout the book mainly because in the last book, readers were more familiar with Aspen.

Many have said this before and I will gladly say it again. America Singer is one of the most frustrating characters ever created. Many have said that is stupid, I don't think she stupid. I just think that she is confused. I mean she has these two men in her life who both say that they love her and both are completely different and both have different qualities. Typical young adult love triangles... I'm not a major fan on love triangles, the only time I am somewhat of a fan of them is when the author does it right, by spacing out everything and writing it appropriately. Everything was a lot more fleshed out in this book I would say and that made the reading experience a lot better for me. Although I did get really annoyed of the repetitiveness of the bouncing back and forth of Aspen and Maxon.

Another thing that is really frustrating with America is that she doesn't say what she feels. She stays cooped up in her bubble and her feelings don't come out. At times it made me want to strangle her and just slap her to make her say her feelings.

I finished this book in a couple of hours, it is a rather small book but now that I have finished reading it I have noticed that not much happens. What I noticed is that is very repetitive. I will go in more detail with this in the spoiler section later.

So this is all I have to say for the non-spoiler section. If you would like to read the rest of the review you either click HERE or the READ MORE button on the bottom left.


Besides being a little fed up with America, I noticed a lot of repetitiveness. To be more specific, the relationship between Maxon and America. They will be so in love at one point and then something happens outside of their relationship and America has a tantrum, ignores him and they're both distant for a little while and America get's really jealous because Maxon is dating other girls then in the next chapter they're cuddling then the whole process repeats itself. The whole book was mainly like that the entire time. Not to mention the rebels constantly attacking the palace. Every five chapters there was some sort of threat or attack.

Let's talk about Aspen for a moment. I felt like he popped up way too many times then he was needed. After Americas eating, Aspen, after America and Maxon have a moment, Aspen, after America wakes up from sleeping, Aspen. Need I say more. 

I did say that I think that Kiera wrote the love triangle well and I stand by my point. It is well written, but we all know that Maxon is the better guy. Some might argue but Aspen is just a jerk. I feel like Kiera was trying to make so much of an effort to have Aspen more in the book, because in my opinion a good love triangle is not being able to side with just one person. At times he was just thrown into it at the random times and it did not make sense to me. To me, there is no need to have a love triangle in these books because we clearly see that Maxon is the better choice. 

So obviously there are other characters in this book who are involved in the selection who are now in the elite. These characters really didn't stand out to me, they all seemed to have the exact same personality. They did have different traits but in a way I couldn't tell them apart even though I knew their names. The only character that stood out to me was Marlee and that's because she wasn't really snobby she was different. 

One of the things that really stood out to me is when America stood up for her friend. That moment was a very rare moment when I wasn't annoyed with America. We had a change of attitude and we got to see a whole different side of America in that moment but it doesn't last that long because she is so darn stubborn.

Overall I did enjoy this book despite my annoyance and problems with it. I did like it a lot more then the first book but I didn't see much of a difference from this book to the last one. It was a easy and light read. I would rate this book a 4 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!