Saturday 20 September 2014

Four: A Divergent Collection - Veronica Roth - FTM


Two years before Beatrice Prior made her choice, the sixteen-year-old son of Abnegation’s faction leader did the same. Tobias’s transfer to Dauntless is a chance to begin again. Here, he will not be called the name his parents gave him. Here, he will not let fear turn him into a cowering child.

Newly christened “Four,” he discovers during initiation that he will succeed in Dauntless. Initiation is only the beginning, though; Four must claim his place in the Dauntless hierarchy. His decisions will affect future initiates as well as uncover secrets that could threaten his own future—and the future of the entire faction system.

Two years later, Four is poised to take action, but the course is still unclear. The first new initiate who jumps into the net might change all that. With her, the way to righting their world might become clear. With her, it might become possible to be Tobias once again.

- Goodreads Synopsis

Ever since I heard that Veronica Roth was going to be writing another book, I was ecstatic! I had been looking forward to reading and buying it for months and months. I finally got the chance to do so in August. It did not disappoint.

If you didn't know Veronica originally wanted to write Divergent with Four's perspective but thought it wasn't right and changed to Tris's point of view. This book has four short stories all about Four, from his life in Abnegation to lightly visiting the day he first met Tris. I thought each and every short story was amazing, it didn't feel like you were reading short stories, it felt like you were reading a full on novel. It gave so much backstory which gave me a better understanding of his character. 

Just like Divergent, we get to see Tobias become Four. I have said this many, many times in my posts and I will keep saying it. I love to see a character grow and develop as the story goes on. When we were first introduced to Four in Divergent he was a very closed off person and was kind of cocky at times, but as we read on we got to see his vulnerable side. I'm really happy that Veronica decided to write this because we get to find out so much more about Four that we didn't really know before. 

The things we find out in this book aren't really surprising, they are really just little revelations. The revelations are things that we sort of already knew from Divergent but we go into more detail with it which makes it a lot made it a lot more interesting. 

As we all know, Four was abused by his father as a child while he was living in Abnegation. I loved how we actually got to see his relationship with his father. Even though I already knew who he was and what he did, you would expect to hate him but for me I am a little unsure about his character. I don't really like Marcus but he is such a well written character and I think that may be the only thing I like about him.  Right away, you could tell that Marcus wasn't really well tempered. His emotions would constantly change. It really makes me question whether or not he really loved Four or not.

When I first read Insurgent, it never made sense to on how Four knew where his mother was and how he knew she was alive. I found it a little strange how she just randomly popped up in the dauntless grounds without a trace, it was a little unrealistic in my opinion. I felt like the meetings with Evelyn and the letters were a little rushed, I wish we visited their time with each other just a few pages more.

In a way, it kind of felt like I was reading Divergent. In the beginning Four just seemed like a male Tris but we get to see him evolve into Four. I had very few problems with this book but one of problems that I did have was that there really wasn't any difference from this book and Divergent. Obviously they are both set in the same world and both Tris and Four transfer to Dauntless but the situations that he faces are a little similar to Tris's in Divergent. Their stories aren't very different. I expected to see a somewhat different story, with Four facing different problems and the two characters already have similarities and I can see why they are so similar but I wish there was a little more originality to Fours story. In Divergent, we are told that the initiation system was different, when I read this book they basically seemed identical. The differences weren't even that big of a deal. 

I still prefer the Divergent trilogy over this book but it was still amazing and it was worth the read. If you are skeptical on reading this book, try not be because it's incredible.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and I would rate it a 4.5 out of 5 stars! 

I hope you enjoyed this review! Feel free to follow our blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!