Friday 20 June 2014

Saying goodbye to: The Hunger Games


If you have been living under a rock for the past 3 or 4 years you probably won't understand a word I am writing. Today's subject is about The Hunger Games series/franchise coming to an end. Technically it is not really the end, but today marks the day of mockingjay part 1&2 finally wrapping on set. (June 20th, 2014) 

BEFORE YOU READ ON, PLEASE PRESS PLAY TO HELP SET THE MOOD...

I read the books after the first movie came out. (Yes i'm one of those fans.) I remember that day so well, the only reason I went to go and see it was because everyone else had saw it and I felt like an outsider. I had seen trailers for it everywhere and promotions for it everywhere and it never really caught my eye. I still remember glancing up to the TV and seeing the trailer but I wasn't really paying attention, so I thought the movie was about a beauty pagent which I guess isn't entirely wrong but it was really far off from what it was actually about.

I read the books in less then a week, I developed a hate for Gale, fell in love with Peeta Mellark but most importantly, I fell in love with the series. I have loved the books and I have loved the movies and now knowning that they have finished filming and there will only be two more movies is so bittersweet. It was amazing experiencing how this franchise grew and grew, watching trailers and interviews but it is so sad that it is coming to an end. It seems like it could go on forever, but it can't.

The entire franchise does mean something to me, before the hunger games the only novels I read were classics and children's fantasy. I would read nothing else, I stayed in my little comfort zone and I was afraid to leave it. Any other genre was a danger zone. Then everything changed once I saw the movie. I was introduced into a whole new world, new characters, new people and I couldn't stop talking about it. After I read the books, I would start making fan-made trailers with my friends and posting them to youtube (Which have been deleted) and I would buy useless merchandise. This wasn't normal for me, I literally couldn't stop myself from obsessing over this series This series literally morphed me into a fangirl. I mean yes, there were other series that I freaked over like Harry Potter. (I grew up watching the movies, and read the books after the last film.) but I had known about those characters all my life, and there was nothing new to look foward to.

The series had characters that I could connect to, to care about and well to fangirl over. I will admit, the writing isn't that great but the whole concept and all of the characters is what makes it amazing.

The Hunger Games really did open my eyes to discovering new things. If I never read those books I probably wouldn't have read/discovered Divergent, Legend, The fifth wave. If I was still in my little safety zone those books would be considered THE DANGER ZONE. Now I still prefer fantasy and dystopian but I am willing to read other books. I have always loved reading, but The Hunger Games mainly just enhanced my love for books.

Looking back on these memories and things, it now makes me wonder what my life could've been like if I hadn't discoverd The Hunger Games or if it had never even existed. I could have been a completly different person and I wouldn't have created this blog with my friend. I have no idea how many times I've re-read those books, but I do know that they impacted my life and they have a special meaning to me, and it isn't just The Hunger Games, there are so many other series that have the same meaning to me but each means something different. You never really know how much something means to you until it's gone...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!