Friday 28 March 2014

Divergent Movie Review - FTM





The Divergent trilogy is one of my all time favourite series of all time. I was one of those fans who followed the journey of the film being made, from the casting to the time when they actually started filming. I had REALLY high expectations for this film and it definitely was very good! It deserves all of the hype it is getting, this film has received mixed reviews. Some hated it, some LOVED it! I personally loved it.

First, I would like to say, if you are a reader of the books and haven't seen the movie yet, don't have your expectations too high. I just feel like if you will be disappointed when you see the film and you will have mixed emotions. I made that mistake, because I expect every single book - movie adaptations to be flawless and perfect which is a pet peeve of mine. Here is the catch, I have watched Divergent twice, and when I watched it the second time, I fell in love with it. It is beautiful.  

The first time I watched this, I enjoyed it but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to but there could be another reason behind that, apparently I drank too much soda... and I couldn't go because there was literally a freakishly long line for the washroom. So I spent half of the movie trying not to think about that. 


Alright, so the casting for this film was amazing! Everyone played their roles so well! It's so weird how Miles Teller (Peter) auditioned for Four and actually googled Theo's name when he didn't get the part, but what i'm trying to say is that Theo James IS Four! He is perfect for Four, just perfect. I honestly can't see Miles playing Four, I think the film would be so different. Miles Teller was very good as Peter, in the movie Peter just really ticked me off. When Peter was fighting with Tris I was cringing, I hated watching it, I wanted to just yell "STOP IT!" Well now that I think of it, I hated all of the fights that Tris was in during her initiation. To clear this up, I meant that I hated how they were beating Tris up like that, how they knew she was the weak one in the group.




One thing, that I wish we got to see MORE of in the film was the friendship between, Christina, Will, Al and Tris. In the movie it seemed like, oh they met now they're best friends! It really bugged me, I am mainly saying this because in the books, you get to see more of what Al's death did to Tris. You got to see how much more Al meant to her before he died, you got to see how much Al cared for Tris and what she meant to him. You never really got see their actual friendship, there were little glimpses but I feel like you never FULLY got to see the four become stronger, but when Tris and Al had their little fight, I absolutely loved, loved, loved that scene! The FEELS! 

All of the emotional scenes in this movie were very good. I do kind of wish, we got to see how Tris's mother actually died, but the scene in the movie was much more emotional, and you got to have a moment to connect with the characters and feel their pain.
Let's talk about Will's death, again I loved this scene. I loved how she tried to get to him, by calling out his name, I still feel like we could have seen more from Wills death in the movie for maybe another minute or two, but you can't have everything in a movie.

For the moment you've all been waiting for. Fourtris! One thing that I loved about their relationship in the books that it was, real and extremely complicated. I don't think we saw much of this in the movie, you kind of just saw Four make out with Tris on the balcony and her saying "I don't want to go too fast." and then Four saying "That's alright, I already have my spot on the floor." Then it is back to, being Dauntless. In the books, their relationship really, really grew even in the first book and they didn't say I love you until nearly the end. In the movie they do really care and love each other and you can see that. You didn't really see the messed up fights they'd have over things that were stupid. This is just my opinion but it seemed like, oh I kissed you, let's hold hands, oh no she's about to be killed, I love you! I didn't really have a problem with those things, I just really would've liked to have seen their relationship grow. When Four is in the simulation, it was so good! That has got to be one of my favourite scenes, I can't even put it into words...

Okay so, who else teared up during the zip-lining scene? I did! That scene was beautiful, but the whole time I was thinking, ALLEGIANT, ALLEGIANT, ALLEGIANT, EPILOGUE, EPILOGUE, EPILOGUE! It was amazing.

This review may seem like I hated the movie because of the things I pointed out but no I LOVED IT! So good! I would give this movie a 4.5 out of 5! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below! Thanks for reading!